Here are some quick questions that may help you interpret a biblical text:
THE CONTEXTUAL TEST– What did it mean then?
- Who is writing?
- Who are they writing to?
- Why are they writing?
THE PERSPICUITY TEST– What does it say?
(The perspicuity of Scripture- trust the clarity of scriptures)
- What principles are being communicated?
- What does this teach us about Jesus?
- Is this a command or passage that is still applicable? (does it refer to a specific people at a specific time or is it an overarching declarative command?
THE CONSISTENCY TEST– Scripture interprets Scripture
- What did other biblical authors or Jesus say about this text or subject?
- Do my conclusions agree or disagree with related areas of Scripture and others who have studied the passage?
THE STYLE TEST
- What is the literary style of the text?
- Is the style meant to be taken literal or figurative?
- What are the major words or phrases that should be examined?
THE APPLICATION TEST
- What have I learned and what must I apply to my life?